The Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund was established in 1999 by Jeff and Patty Hurwitz, after Patty’s diagnosis of breast cancer. Because there was no comprehensive breast center in Frederick at that time, Patty had to travel to a major metropolitan area for her care and treatment. She and Jeff wanted to start a fund to bring the very best breast cancer treatment to Frederick residents. Believing that early diagnosis was the key to Patty’s successful outcome, the goal of the fund has been to provide the most innovative options in early detection and treatment of breast cancer to the Frederick community.
Contributions from the Fund are helping save lives locally. Every dollar donated to the Fund is used for local direct patient care and there are no administrative costs taken from donations.
Over the past 21 years, more than $2.2 million has been raised through community support for the fund and its events.
Here are just a few of the items purchased and services provided to Frederick Health Hospital over the years, thanks to the Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund:
- A special breast coil was purchased for use with MRI imaging of the breast
- 3D & CAD Mammography Systems have been purchased to assist in the detection of breast cancer at an earlier stage, allowing for more successful outcomes
- Created a healing space for patients and families at the Frederick Health Crestwood Center for Breast Care
- Funded the Medical Oncology suite at the James M. Stockman Cancer Center
- Purchased devices that enable the surgeon and radiologist to examine biopsy tissue in the operating room/procedure room; this makes biopsies easier and safer for the patient and returns results more quickly
- Purchased curved comfort paddles to help make mammograms more comfortable than with traditional paddles
- Supported several Breast Cancer Symposiums and other group events for patients
The Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund is a not-for-profit fund with a 501 (c)(3) tax status. All contributions to the fund are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.